Saturday 17 March 2007

Valuable Advice

After a much needed sleep in and a huge breakfast of french toast, I headed out to meet up with a large group for an easy ride. Figuring that the highways would be in rough shape from our latest foot of snowfall last week, I grabbed my cross bike but quickly realized I was the only one with knobby tires. Scheduled on my training program for today was only a three hour ride with some higher intensity efforts, not bad. With my slow, fat tires I was able to run though these intervals and never get more than a couple hundred meters a head of the pack, which is kind of depressing when you figure I was almost maxed out at times and the pack with just "taking it easy", or so I was told. With the treat of more snow looming in the forcast for tomorrow (Sunday), I opted midway through the ride for an extended ride so I could spend as little time on the trainer as possible the next day if bad weather did hit. Well, five hours later, after a desperate but successful search for water at the Madden curling rink, completely out of food, completely out of water, again, and a seeming head wind the whole way, we dragged out asses, mine very wobbly, back into the Walmart parking lot.

Lessons learnt:
-when asked after five pieces of french toast with syrup and berries if you are full, say no, eat more
-always take your road bike
-bring larger water bottles
-always be nice to the curling rink guy
-stuff your jersey pockets with as much food as you can fit
-in March money won't help you in Madden
-Walmart parking lots can be a beautiful place

1 comment:

tori said...

"when asked after five pieces of french toast with syrup and berries if you are full, say no, eat more". i think you've been hanging around dallas too long!