Sunday 11 March 2007

A weekend of bikes, chili, coffee and some pain.

Saturday morning I awoke with a grin….dry enough to take the Fuel outside. The first 30 minutes of my ride were very annoying, stopping to adjust and readjust stuff, like seat height, cable stretch……oh the joys of a new bike. Sorry, I really shouldn’t complain. Had an awesome Calgary tour, trying to avoid as much salty water as possible I ended up sticking mainly to the streets, nothing like a little urban assault. I know, it really doesn’t do that poor thing justice, but I just didn’t have the heart to take it out and get it completely nuked on its first ride. It felt really good to be out on the knobby tires, and not just cross tires. Even a run in with an angry agro driver couldn’t ruin this day, speeding, talking on the cell phone and yelling out the window at me, now that’s talent. I only wish I could be quick witted enough to come up with a better reply to “I’d watch it if I were you”, then just an “Well, I’d watch it if I were you!” I bet that really scared him, hehe.

After I cleaned myself and my bike off, I headed down to the Terrascape third annual fundraiser event. Everything went off really well, lots of really cool prizes for the silent auction, lots of great chili, lots of people, and of course the infamous 7 watts per kg challenge. To go from sitting on your rear to maximal effort in less, and trying to hold for as long as you can, is really not a good idea. Kind of felt like a drunk smoker for the rest of the night.
After a really late night of cleaning up the hall, and loosing an hour in the process, I awoke this morning with another big grin, big group ride planned. Meeting down at Angel’s café we started the easy ride with almost 15 people, great turn out. With a few having different agendas, we ended up with 9 of us (picking up one along the way) at Bragg Creek café on our way home for a refueling with coffee….umm, and finally dragged ourselves home after a solid four hours of riding. I think I need a nap now.
It really was nice outside, even though everyone looks bundled up for ten below.

No comments: