Sunday 25 April 2010

Going to Europe!!!!

Finally feeling half decent after Guatemala gut....ya, a week and a half of ...ummmmmmmm, how do I put this.....poops, and really painfull gut rot. I ended up spending a number of hows on a number of different days on the phone with Air Canada trying to sort out my plane ticket, they had me arriving into Brussels on May 1, we raced on May 2nd and then I flew home May 3....ya right. I ended up cancelling my ticket all together ( I was told that I would be recieving a refund for my unused portion of my ticket....hopefully they honor that) and it looked like I wasn't going to be making it over for either of the first 2 world cups at all. Expedia came to my rescue...hehe, after a lot of searching I found a flight, not nearly as cheap and with United Airlines (so stupid bigger bike box fees) instead of Air Canada.....but I arrive in Brussels on April 27th!!!! Going to make Houffalize.

Actually I'm not overly disappointed with having to come home, being able to work through my guts and being able to hang out at home for a couple days. Yesterday, after my long wet training ride, both Regan and I were feeling pretty tuckered, lounging around in our pj's all afternoon...haha, nothing wrong with that right. Being that I've only lived on the island now for almost 6 months, some of which I've been away for work and racing, I still have sooooo much to see and do. So after a couple hours of pjing, Regan took me out to Sandcut Creek......wow, super cool.





Haha, yes it almost got me!!

This one's for my Guatemala experience.....actually really enjoy Plantains :)

Ingredients
2 ripe plantain, the skins must be black
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
8 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
salt & pepper (optional)
cinnamon (to garnish)

Directions
1. Peel the plantains and cut them crossways into slices 2.5cm thick.
2. Lay each plantain on a large sheet of foil, keeping the slices together so they stay in their original shape.
3. Smear each plaintain with the butter (or dot it over if it's hard) and sprinkle with the sugar.
4. Make a gondola shape round each plantain with the foil, then pour over the orange juice and grind salt and pepper on top if using.
5. Wrap the foil completely round the plantains so they're securely sealed inside. (You can prepare to this stage up to 24 hours ahead.).
6. Put the foil parcels on the barbecue rack and cook for 30 minutes until the plantains are softened (to check if they're ready, open a parcel and test with the point of a knife).
7. Sprikle with salt, pepper and cinnamon.

Yup! I burnt it good.....tops tasted awesome

No comments: